Blaming Others

Brandon - Idaho Falls, Idaho

“A man may make mistakes but he isn’t a failure until he starts blaming someone else.” John Wooden, a UCLA basketball coach once said this. I believe in this statement because no person is perfect, and we all do things we are not proud of and later will regret. We shouldn’t blame other people for our mistakes. We should take responsibility for ourselves and our actions.

Last year, when we were in the finals for State Cup Soccer, we were tied at halftime. Going into the second half, we were excited and anxious. As the second half started, both teams were full of energy and the game began to get dirty. The referee was letting some of the fouls go, but the game eventually got out of hand. The team we were facing soon got a goal. This goal got their energy level even higher and their desire to stay ahead seemed to increase. They started playing rougher and committed more fouls.

After their goal, they started intentionally trying to hurt players. They hurt four of our players. As for me, I was one of the players that got injured, and I had to get six stitches above my eye. They had taken out some of our best players, including most of the defense and ended up winning 4-0.

Our team was disappointed about losing, but we were glad to get the opportunity to play. After the game, our team started blaming the referees for their lack of calls. Even though it is the job of the referee to ensure that the game is played fairly and safely, we had opportunities to score that we did not take advantage of. Like John Wooden once said, we shouldn’t have blamed the referees for our loss. We should have taken responsibility for our own mistakes on the field that caused us to lose. Despite the play on the field, both teams showed good sportsmanship after the game and as we received our medals.

This year, our team is hoping for a better outcome at state. We are going to forget about last year’s performance and injuries and hope for first place. We should all forget about blaming one another throughout the season and blaming the referees for some mistakes and work on progressing as a team.