Stress, School, and Sports

Austin - Idaho Falls, Idaho
Themes: setbacks, work

“You can’t do sports if you don’t have good grades in all your classes.” This is what my parents told me when it came time to play football, basketball, or any other sport that I would like to do. I enjoyed basketball since I was a young child. My whole family did basketball so the sport was always in my life. I feel that going to a great college adds more stress to me. I also felt that my parents needed to stop worrying about my grades because I always did well in school. I believe that trying to balance school and sports puts extreme pressure on me, but I always seem to manage to get through the sport and school with my sanity intact.

When my practices for the current sport that I am doing end late, I always seem to have so much homework to do. Most of the time I don’t get all of it done, but on rare occasions I do. On the days that I don’t get my homework done, the stress really gets to me. If I don’t complete the homework assignment, it makes me feel that my grade is in jeopardy of falling. I feel it most when it is late at night and I am tired and just want to go to bed. I know that I have to finish, but I just can’t. So the next day I feel the pressure, because I have to finish the homework before I get to the class. The stress is so bad sometimes that I feel like my head is going to crack. During the week, I find the little things help me balance out the sport and school. I try to split the homework that I have into more manageable chunks. I also try to do the harder stuff first so I can quickly complete the easy stuff. While waiting for my basketball game to start, I usually do some of my homework, so I don’t have mounds to do at home.

When my parents worry, it stresses me out. I feel like they are always watching me. They pester me everyday asking me if I have finished my homework. I am not allowed to do anything unless my homework is done. Trying to do my homework before doing anything gives me a massive headache. Then the next day in all my classes, the stress is so bad that the headache grows, and I start to clench my teeth. I feel added pressure from the colleges because I want to go to a prestigious college.

I feel that my parents need to take a step back and trust that I can do this alone because I am in charge of myself. If I fail, then it is my fault then not theirs. This is what I believe.