Strict Rules

Mindy - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Strict Rules

As a teenager, I’ve always disliked my parents’ rules and wanted to do my own thing. I thought that they were just being mean, and didn’t want me to have any fun. But, I changed my mind when an old friend died at 13 years old. She went driving through the canyon with her sister and a few friends. They were all drunk, and underage, except for her. They rolled the vehicle down the canyon and she died. Her parents didn’t know where she was.

My mom always knows exactly where I am, which used to drive me nuts. My parents always had to meet my friends’ parents before I hung out with them. I couldn’t go over to someone’s house when boys were over. I thought about sneaking out a few times but I knew I’d get caught and be grounded for a lifetime. But the worst thing is that they always find out when I do something wrong. I always got caught. Not once have I ever gotten away with breaking the rules. Once, when I went riding horses when I wasn’t supposed to, I fell off the horse and came home crying with bruised ribs. When I’d be outside late at night to play games, my loving parents would walk outside and see me. Eventually I would come home from a friend’s house and expect them to know what I did that I was told not to do, no matter what it was. Even if I watched a movie I wasn’t supposed to, they would know about it. Or, if I went and hung out with someone and we went somewhere without adults, they knew. No matter what I did, I’d always get caught. But the truth is, I really like the fact that my parents are strict with me. I appreciate the fact that they care and worry about me.

I believe that parents have a reason for being strict, and that is that they just don’t want to see their babies getting into trouble and not being careful.