People Learn From Their Mistakes

Abigail - Idaho Falls, Idaho

People Learn From Their Mistakes.

Have you ever made a mistake? Or did something that you regret? I know I have. When I was in third grade, we had finished learning our 1’s and 2’s times tables. We were going to have a test that day, and I still wasn’t grasping the concept. I know they seem easy, but for me, I just didn’t understand it. So during the test I just happened to be sitting by one of the smarter kids in my class. He knew all the times tables by heart. So I decided just too casually look over at his paper and copy all of his answers. I ended up getting a 100% on the test, but I felt very guilty.

When I took home my test that day, I showed it to my mom and she was shocked. She knew I had been struggling, so she knew this wasn’t my work. Guilt overtook me and I had to confess what I had done. She said that in order to make things right, I would need to go tell my teacher what I had done immediately. I started to cry. I was very nervous about what was going to happen. I thought that maybe she was going to give me an F for cheating. I ended up keeping my grade, even though I wasn’t getting it, she admired my act of honesty and let me keep my grade.

Since then I have told myself that cheating is not only wrong but dishonest, and it will get me nowhere fast. Just think, if you are copying off someone else’s paper, who are you helping? No one. You will never know how to do something difficult unless you ask for help when you really need it. I most truly believe that. I am now a freshman in high school and have definitely learned from that mistake I made when I was younger.

Although I confessed to what I had done, I will never forget the guilt I felt. It so awful having to come clean to not only my mom but my teacher as well about what I had done. It is a feeling I never want to feel again. If you listen in class and ask questions when needed, it makes things a whole lot easier. You will understand things better, than if you were looking off someone else’s paper. There is no reason or excuse for cheating. This I believe.