The Only Easy Day was Yesterday

Kyle - Annapolis, Maryland

I believe that everyone has potential. As humans, we are capable of more than we think, but we must push ourselves, collectively and individually, past our known limits in order to get there.

I believe that ignorance truly is bliss, but most of us aren’t ignorant. Thus, the question becomes, “What now?” In the words of Winston Churchill, “Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.”

I believe that this is a shame. I believe that I can grow from each and every mental challenge, and I hope that if I am one of the fortunate, yes fortunate, ones to stumble upon such truth, that I have the courage and determination to stare it in the face until we understand each other. The human mind has amazing potential, but it stays just that, potential, unless developed. I believe that I can be something more.

I believe that too few are willing to wrestle with the “hard” questions- who am I? Why am I here? In making this comment, I am in no way implying that I have wholeheartedly answered such questions, for while I am close than I have ever been, I have not. But, I do wrestle with them every day. After all, isn’t something of such caliper worth the thought?

And finally, I believe that I can make a difference in this world. I don’t know exactly when or how, but if I continue to grow, challenge myself, and devote my life to others, I will leave my mark. And I know my happiness will come from the success of the people I influence. If I make yesterday the only easy day, even if I am only able to change the life of one person, it will be worth it. I know who I am and who I am not in this world, and I know who I want to become.