One Foot After the Other

Jennifer - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in walks. From leisurely strolls and nature walks to walking it out and power walking. It is not only good for your body but for your heart and soul. Throughout my life I have been influenced by walking. As a kid I remember my parents taking walks. Every Sunday they would walk around our country neighborhood. Hand in hand and in their Sunday best they talked about the simple things in life and enjoyed the beauty around them. Pausing every once and a while, they would say a friendly “hello” to the occasional person watering their yard or the little neighbor kids riding their bikes. Every so often my brothers and I would join them. A lot of the times I think we probably were just annoying them but I know that we enjoyed spending this time with them, telling stories and learning about the world’s wonders. This early experience planted the seed for my love of walks.

As I got older, my mom started taking walks in the mornings after sending us kids off to school. I remember riding by on the school bus, waving to her as we passed by. Catching the morning air and hoping to better her health, I think those walks gave her that extra energy she needed to get through the day and was a time for her to sort things out.

Later in high school especially my senior year when the stress level was high, I decided to go on walks. After school or just before bed, I would plug in my ipod and venture around the familiar neighborhood. Gone for a half hour or so, I just walked. Listening to my favorite songs to fit my mood, I was able to be alone and think. This was sort of a detox time when I could ponder decisions I had to make or just glory at the goodness of life. It was also nice to be outside and not have to worry about school or problems with my friends or any other worries of the world. If I was ever stressed or flustered or going through a hard time I would walk it out and it made me feel so much better.

Looking back, I really treasure these experiences. They remind me of the simple ness yet greatness of walks. As life gets busier and busier I hope that I can take the time to walk. Not because of the economy but because I believe in walks.