Cooking Up Love

Kim - Spartanburg, South Carolina

I believe that the best way to show your love for someone is to cook for them. When a friend has a new baby, what do I do? Cook dinner and bring it over to the new parents. When a colleague is sick or has had surgery, what do I do? Fix up a casserole and rush right over. And when my best friend’s husband finally lost his battle with cancer, what did I do? Put a pot of spaghetti on the stove so I could feed her body as I tried to help soothe her soul. I believe that my friends know I love them because I cook for them.

I guess I learned about this way of showing my love at an early age from both of my grandmothers. Neither of them would dare show up empty handed to welcome a new baby, greet a sick friend or mourn the passing of anyone. Besides that it seems that my childhood memories should have a cookbook that goes along with them. Inside would be the green and blue checkerboard cake that Maw Maw made for my birthday. Alongside that would be the peanut butter cookies with Reese’s Cups tucked inside that were always plentiful at Granny’s during the holidays. There would be fried chicken, cheese biscuits, several versions of potato salad (depending on the occasion), lasagna with garlic bread – I could go on and on. My grandmothers cooked for all of us because they loved us. And we ate what they cooked and liked it (even if it wasn’t our favorite) because we loved them.

Now I believe that my family and I continue to show and share our love for each other by cooking for each other and gathering together to eat. Whether it be beef tenderloin with a port wine sauce for a very special occasion, smoked ribs and brisket at a barbecue festival, or just tuna noodle casserole on a regular-old Tuesday night, we show our love by cooking for each other. I believe that my love for my family and friends shows more because I take the time to cook for them sprinkling in a little love with every dish. And their love for me shows because they take the time to eat with me.

I believe that if more families and friends got together and showed their love for each other by taking the time to cook and eat together, the world would be a better place.