your future does not depend on your past

Deryk - oakland, California
Themes: hope

When I was born my mother Kimberly was a drug addict, she was in and out of jail a lot. She would leave me at home and stay out at night and come home the next morning. She was obviously not ready for a child, but since I was the 4th of 7 she did not understand that. You are probably wondering where my dad was. My dad had a wife but it was not my mother. I believe he didn’t know about me until later. My life looked down, it got worse. 11 days after my third birthday my dad was shot at a bar. He was in a fight and the guy pulled out a gun. The person who shot my father was not found. my father died in the hospital. I’m very sad about this event sometimes I wish he was still alive so I could play some sports with him. Playing with my mom isn’t very fun because I beat her every time no matter what sport.

Then my life got better I was put in foster care. My foster mother was Betty. Betty was sick and kind of old so she couldn’t take of me. So her daughter Sharon did. But since I was little I called Sharon Ne-ne. Ne-ne was a great foster mother she had two sons too. Their names are Kenny and Sean. Sean always used to cut my hair he was really good to. One thing I remember is that he would but a little design when he cut my hair. Kenny would always play with me I know it was probably really boring but he did any ways. I liked that because I got really bored being the only little kid there. Ne-ne lived out in Vallejo so it was pretty hot. Ne-ne’s mother Betty had another foster child too. Her name was Robyn, Robyn is a few years older than me. I’m pretty sure robin was adopted by Betty.

My dad had other children too he had Stephen and Jodeci but we call her jo-jo. Jo-jo’s mom was Reyna. Reyna was nice to me only they lived in the projects so it was kind of scary going to their house. Cops all over the place just waiting for someone to get shot or robbed. Reyna had another child named ebony. My mom had other children too Ronnie, Chris, Marquis and me. My mom’s side is not complicated at all compared to my dad.

Then I was adopted in to The family of Allison Rodman and Amy Mueller. They enrolled me in to park day school. I made some very good friends who would play basketball with me or talk about different . I’ve been going there since I was in kindergarten. Sometimes I wish I was adopted by a black family because every time people ask is that your mom I say yes and they laugh and they say you were adopted I just say no I just came out black. Sometimes people just tease me about it for no reason like I have to be perfect.

When I was 7 my mom’s got notice that my birth mom had another kid named Elanna my parents adopted Elanna. I was very excited about getting a little sister but then she turned 4 that’s when she started to get very annoying. She is six now and she is very difficult. Actually she is a very fun and loveable sister. What I believe is that your future does not depend on your past. I had a very rough past and look at me know I’m going to a great school have great friends and teachers. You can’t change the past but the future depends on you.