Lindsey - Idaho Falls, Idaho, Idaho

Tanning booths, hairspray, hair salons, hair dye, eye shadow, foundation, eye liner, straighteners, curling irons; the list goes on and on. No one is real anymore and no one seems to care. The world is becoming more and more superficial. It’s time for change!

Everyday between third and fourth period the freshmen go to lunch. Everyday I make my daily trip to the bathroom. Everyday I see the same thing, dozens of girls shoving for room by the mirror. They poof their hair, re-apply make-up, and talk the latest gossip. The air is filled with hairspray mist and cover up is spilled all over the sinks. I have to shove through a crowd just to wash my hands. These girls have to fix their make-up all the time. If they didn’t, they would look like completely different people. Once on my trip to the bathroom, a few girls were jumping up and down, squealing about skipping their next hour and going to lunch with the senior boys. They’d ride around with them in their cars and do anything else with them just to get attention.

Surprisingly, I see the same girls admired by all; the jealous nerds, the perverted jocks, and the half-decent that would do anything to be in their clique. They boss around their “apprentices” and use everyone else to get what they want. Still, everyone looks up to them. What is wrong with the youth? Why don’t we realize that these people are not better than us because they’re fake tan or look as good as the rest of us while wearing a ton more make up? I don’t know the answers to these questions myself, but I do know that most of us don’t even take the time to ask ourselves these questions. We just go along with the crowd, but should take a stand.

I believe that people should look up to those that actually deserve praise, such as the smart, the talented, the athletic, and the genuine. When I say genuine, I don’t just mean a living, breathing human, I mean people that don’t wear pounds of make-up or fake tan, girls that actually eat. Real people are those that don’t dye their hair every color of the rainbow, or say one thing to your face and something different behind your back. We need higher quality people, those who stand up for what they believe in, try hard to succeed, and don’t take three hours to get ready in the morning.

Our world is becoming more and more crooked all the time and everyone else goes along with it. I will not stand for it. I believe we should judge everyone based on the way they act and not the way they look. I believe that people should care more about what they think of themselves than what others think of them. I believe that as women we should rise above the superficial and remember what is truly important in life.