Real Friends

Mikaila - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Jr. High is like driving on the Highway in Italy. Everyone’s shoving, pushing, swearing, cursing and sulking down the narrow halls, causing traffic jams by congregating like a herd of very loud sheep in the middle of the halls. It’s really hard to find someone you trust as a friend, you never know when someone might just “rear end” you sending you through that ever-so-thin guard rail and in to the sea of unpopularness below.

I thought I had friends. I really did, until about December of eighth grade. That was the day that I was pretty much exiled from our lunch table. I still don’t know why. After several boring lunches without conversation (they were all ignoring me) I left to sit with a girl from my Orchestra class, she was nice, but the people she ate with were some of the most unpopular in the school. At first I was hesitant to sit there. The “friends” that I had been sitting with were known as “wanna bes”, those who are so bent on being popular that they would give up everything, spend all their earnings on clothes that would be “out” tomorrow, and ruin their hair by spending hours a day straightening it. I think that may have been why they decided to hate me. I spent most of my money on video games and books, and I was never fussed about my hair (like they thought I could straighten it). I had learned to reject all who were not popular. I now say, over a year later, that this was dumb. Yes. I was dumb. But I sat there, and that was one of the best decisions I think I ever made.

I slowly made friends with the people at that table. I figured out that most of the rumors that my “friends” had spread about them were untrue. I am now one of them; I don’t really care anymore if I’m popular. The most important thing is having your friends there to depend on. Surprisingly, we now have a large group of people at that table. The table of what’s left of my old friends seems to be a little emptier every day. I think people might finally be realizing how slightly evil they really are. I believe that it is not important to be popular, it’s more important to live like you really feel like living. You should be able to wear a non-American Eagle shirt and not get shunned by your friends. It’s important to find people who won’t push you off the cliff at the first chance they get. Now I have accepted this fact, I walk down the hall a little more confidently, because I know that my friends don’t care how well-liked I am.