Enjoy It

Jeff - Idaho Falls, Idaho

“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” My dad, like everyone else, is getting old. He’s a kid at heart though, or tries to be. When I was younger, about 6 or 7, I was trying out all the different sports I could so I could choose one I liked and pursue it. Well at the moment, it was soccer. When my dad was a kid, they didn’t even have soccer in the schools he went to, but despite knowing nothing about it, when I asked him if he wanted to go outside and play with me, the answer was always yes. He would just do what it looked like the pros were doing on TV. He would kick it as hard as he could, and I would go chase after it; stuff like that. Then one time, we both went to kick the ball at the same instant. Now this is common physics; the person with the greater force is going to go forward and the other person… Even back when I was a youngster, I had a lot of leg power, and my dad’s knees weren’t so great. Well obviously, I got the ball when both of us collided, and I just booked it as fast as my legs would carry me without looking back to see what happened to dad. Turned out he was kind of sitting on the ground in pain, but laughing. I basically blew out his knee, but even after that, he would never turn me down if I wanted to go play, even though I hurt him. Still to this day, he’ll do whatever he can if I want him to go play ball with me or run some drills. He even every now and then beats me at ping pong. He just loves to have fun, and I think that’s one of, if not the best thing in life.

Every day there are new opportunities that arise; new challenges. If you think about it, everything in life is better when you’re having fun: you tend to do better at anything if you enjoy it, including academics. Yes, it is possible for school to be somewhat fun believe me. Having a bright outlook on life is also helpful. No one that I know of likes someone that’s always sad and negative. I know this is much easier said than done, but try it. I personally hate being sad. When I’m sad, I’m not having fun and I lose that excitement and enjoyment that I try to find in everything. “We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”