Life is a Learning Experience

Elizabeth - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Lizzy Constantino

This I Believe Essay

Life is a Learning Experience

Beliefs help the world function. They form the way people choose to act and to think. Beliefs are what started and still forms our government, our religion, and our societies in general. The world would be nothing without the beliefs of each person.

I have a frequently shared belief that causes most to question.

My belief is that life is not fair, and that no matter what we do, we will always have to struggle with something. But the question always is, should we care, or should we just suck it up and move on with our lives? That is what I’ve always wondered.

I was diagnosed with type one and type two juvenile diabetes a little less than two years ago. As soon as I was told the bad news, I knew my life would never be the same. I thought that I would never be happy again. No fun, no carefree happiness, just responsibility and the lingering fear of going into a coma. I was devastated and wondered why god would torcher anyone with something like this. I basically felt like the weight of the world had been put on my shoulders and I couldn’t stop it. No one could stop it; no one could take it away from me.

For months I continued to convince myself that I had it worse than everyone, and that everyone else had perfect lives. I constantly had to take shots, and test my blood sugar, and the GREATEST part was that I had to visit the horrid doctor every 3 stinkin’ months! There were some perks though, I did get to go to a diabetic party, and I did and still do get free office supplies from my dietician.

But no matter what, I felt branded as a victim of health issues. People that didn’t already know me well knew me as the “diabetic girl”.

Then one day I heard of a girl who died from cancer, and while alive, suffered from hair loss and chronic health issues. I felt utterly sorry for her. It was then that I realized, every single person in the world suffers from some kind of issue, whether it is social or health related; in finance or in mental health. The list goes on and on, and the truth is, even when we think that we’ve got it worse, and it seems unfair, we have to deal with it because everyone in the world has struggles. Life may not be fair, but that’s just the way it is.