The Miracle of a Caterpillar

Amber - Webster City, Iowa

It wasn’t until a few days ago, when my sister was put in the hospital, that I came to realize my biggest and most precious belief is in the nurture of stuffed animals. My sister is in the hospital because of complications with her baby, and the pregnancy. She is stuck in the hospital until her baby is born, and unfortunately that might be sooner than we had hoped. She was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia, a medical condition where she has extremely high amounts of protein, and her blood pressure runs high enough to make her have seizures. Having pre-eclamsia is dangerous to her and the baby, so it is watched carefully.

She is scared to death that everything is going to turn to a dead end. We are all scared of it, I am scared, but I try not to show it. All I have been able to do is sit and wait for her to get worse. Once she shows signs of increasing symptoms then they will take the baby. I have felt incredibly helpless, and it hasn’t helped that when I see her, she is always down. She has blamed herself for everything that is going on when nothing is her fault. It was then that I realized I had to find a way to help.

She hasn’t been herself. She is sad, and incredibly lonely, even when we are sitting right next to her. That is when I realized she needed something; the one thing that everyone needed in a time of hurt. I went out and got her a big, soft, squishy caterpillar to keep her company. Along with it was a card telling her not to worry; that everything is going to be fine. I stood outside her door and wiggled the caterpillar until she noticed it. When I walked in with it in my hands, the look on her face was all I needed to see to know I did the right thing. She was tickled about the caterpillar, and it made her face light up. Something I hadn’t seen in a long time.

It’s amazing how much a silly stuffed animal helps when bad times come. That’s why I believe in the nurture of stuffed animals. Having some soft, squishy animal next to you during bad times gives a sense of security. It’s like a temporary friend that will never leave your side. And as long as you hold on to that stuffed animal, you know that you can hold on until the bad times are over.