An unexpected outburst

Jaime - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Jaime Fifield

The Unexpected Outburst

Once upon a time when I was twelve years old and in the seventh grade, I had the joyful fortune of riding the school bus, commonly referred to as the cheesewagon. This wonderful experience taught me some interesting things along with some excellent swear words. Of course the older kids had claimed the very back of the bus, while their inferiors (the rest of us) were forced to the middle and front of the bus. Even though my older brother was a freshman, he always sat with me and made friends with everyone. I was the younger shy little sister who always looked up to my brother and wanted to follow his footsteps. We were quite opposites, besides that we were both smart. My social butterfly brother was always kind, he also looked nice and dressed nice as well. This kind of behavior spread lots of gossip among the other freshmen and they somehow decided in their little heads that he was gay. Let me be the first to tell you, my brother is not gay, and is the farthest thing from it. One instance on the bus brought an outburst from me that I didn’t even know I was capable of. These want to be gangsters were looking at my brother and said some naughty things, which I won’t repeat, and they were about my brother. Now being a younger sister to a guy who won’t defend himself, it was my obligation to protect him from his enemies. I slammed my books down on the seat and stormed to the back of the bus and said something like this, “You make me sick! Just because my brother is kind and talented and good looking and mature doesn’t give you the right to drag him down to your level! I honestly pity you that you feel so bad about yourselves that you feel like you have to hurt other people! Leave him alone!” Now I realize that this is a bit harsh, and I have not since had another outburst quite as bad. Sticking up for my brother when others were harming him, I think was a good thing, and it sure shut those jerks up. But maybe I could have handled the situation more coolly. That day, I learned that standing up for someone else is a great and powerful thing, and I found my voice that I had never before seen. It was a great experience.