Power of Music

Caleigh - Idaho Falls Idaho, Idaho

Books may be able to take you places, but music can describe every emotion, moment, and aspect of our lives, and anything we have ever experienced.

As we all know, life abides by no rules, has no pity, and most definitely is not fair. It deals out the unexpected like divorce, suicide, heartbreak and sadness. Frankly, we all have different methods and tactics to deal our issues, but my way to escape is through music.

Music has always held a childlike fascination for me, and I guess it still does. All the different notes and how many chords they make, which tabs are major and which are minor. But mostly how many songs can be made with a few new rhythms. Music has an amazing ability to alter our emotions. Singing rock and roll doesn’t have much of an appeal at a funeral, but whereas an instrumental can bring the crowd to tears.

Being a teenager, I’ve had many diverse experiences. Some of which were happy, and others very depressing, but they all had a song to match how I felt and I could always rely on that song to understand what I was going through. When I was younger my father passed away. I was completely devastated. My oxygen was the pulse in a song, and my best friends were the CD’s that were stacked on the shelves. I learned to play the violin and found myself practicing for hours just to “get it all out”. Singing as loud as I could while mowing the lawn helped me vent and I actually felt better after doing so, more than anything else.

After that tragic experience I realized life was only going to become harder. I had to continue to grow and learn. Looking back in retrospect, I can see now that most of my academic success came through meaningful study, while also memorizing vocabulary and scientific processes in musical form. Things came more natural to me, like reading, math and even swimming. Car rides were suddenly not as boring, and running the mile in PE was a breeze.

They say that music is the universal language, but I guess I never quite realized the full concept of it. It’s unchanging and constant. It is the same yesterday today and tomorrow…almost the same way life is an everlasting burden over our heads. We all just need a way to harness each to balance out with one another.

I’ve heard “that which does not kill us can only make us stronger” but why suffer when we have access to all the passion we need to survive: music.