My Dream

kevin - Idaho Falls, Idaho
Themes: courage

My Dream

Ever since I was able to dream, I had always wanted to be some one who defended this great nation. I was in fifth grade when I decided to become an aerospace engineer in the air force, once I graduated from the Air Fore Academy in Boulder, Colorado. After serving for twenty great years, I would retire from the air force with a happy family, where I would start my very own engineering firm.

That was until I did some family background research. I found that about five other members of my family had also joined the military, but only two of them had reached the age of forty. My uncle Gary was killed be a crumbling cliff in Vietnam. My Grandpa was shot in Pearl Harbor. Then I looked up some statistics about death in the military. As it so happens everyone has a seventy-five percent chance of being seriously injured or of dieing.

After discovering this terrifying feat, I had to make a decision if I wanted to continue with my simple yet affective life plan. I had to decide whether or not I wanted to be an average Joe or if I wanted to be someone who wanted to be someone who made a difference in their life.

I pondered this problem for months upon months, until about the end of seventh grade, where I decided that I would take the chance of dieing in the military, and try to be an icon for others, so that maybe one day they can also make a difference in their world. Also I would join the armed forces because it would make me a national hero and so that I would have the ability to protect my family and friends.

I spoke with one of my heroes, Alex Maggort, a trained navy seal, and he said that if I were to graduate from the Air Force Academy I would instantly become a lt. colonel which is higher than any enlisted major could be, and that I would probably be stationed in a different country but I wouldn’t see much fighting.

Once I heard that I was set, I still was going to try to be an aerospace engineer in the air force.