Suicide

Kylee - Idaho Falls, Idaho
Themes: death

Kylee Wielang

February 1, 2009

Suicide

Many people say life is short, but it’s up to them how short they want to live it. Is life really up to fate? Can you decide how long you live? In most cases you can’t decide when you die, but in other cases you can decide that you will survive. Many teens in the U.S die each year of suicide. I myself have known several people who have attempted suicide, one was fatal.

I can’t really say I knew the guy who committed suicide, but my stepsister did. Apparently he has always been depressed, different. I don’t really know what drove him to killing himself, all I know is that he shot himself in the head. When I first heard about this I wondered why someone would do something so selfish like that.

As a teen I feel that other teens that are depressed use suicide as a ticket out of the pain. What some people don’t know is that when they kill themselves they put other people in pain. I think suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. They don’t know how much it will hurt another person if they take away their life. I myself would not kill myself, though if in a situation I might think about it. The reason why I wouldn’t kill myself is because I know how much that would hurt my parents and I couldn’t do that to them.

My best friend was very depressed and was thinking about committing suicide. When I heard about this I was devastated. I didn’t know what I could do to help her. When I tried talking to her about it she seemed to shut me out. After a while I figured she needed help from an adult. The next day I went to the school councilor and told her everything. I knew my friend would be angry with me if she found out I told, but I felt it was my last chance. I believed I would rather lose her as a friend then lose her forever. I believe that suicide is not the right thing to do, if you just talk about it to a friend, family member, or even a school councilor they will help because just talking about it may make you feel better.