To be Rejected

Bailey - Idaho Falls, Idaho
Themes: fear

To be Rejected

A recent assignment that was given to my fellow classmates and me was to write an essay and submit it to the National Public Radio. I have never felt the need to submit an essay to anyone or anything for any reason. My feeling about this assignment is no different, sorry.

My English teacher, bless her heart, wanted us to do this, for one reason, so she could submit her work also and go through the rejection that she or my fellow classmates and I may face, together.

I believe that we as human beings fear rejection. To be rejected in any way, shape, or form hurts us, but where no one else can see it. Some hide it better than others, some make sure you know how they are feeling. Sometimes, I make sure people know what’s going on with me and how I’m feeling, but most of the time, I keep it hidden from the rest of the world.

A time where rejection hurt me the most was last year at a dance. I was fourteen at the time, and it was a formal church dance I had decided to attend for youth. I had borrowed a dress from a friend and my sister had done my hair for me, which never happens, so this was a big deal to me. I went to the dance, had fun at the beginning, and then a slow song came up. The people in charge of the dance asked the guys to form one line and the girls to form another and to stand across from each other. As I stood there, I saw that the young man across from me was someone who I knew and had had a few classes with. Instead, he looked at me, making eye contact, and walked away to dance with a different girl.

That was one of the worst rejections I have had yet. I did not go to another dance for several months, fearing another rejection like that one. I did not show my emotions until I was safe in my room and could cry and pity myself. Not that I was depressed or anything, I had just never had that kind of rejection from a boy like that. Not a word, just a look and walk away, ouch.

To avoid rejection like this, I choose to be around people I love and people who, I feel, love me. Rejection is always present in our lives, we just have to choose how to handle it.