Evelyn - Paducah, Kentucky

This I believe, that our country was established on God and Christian principles and must remain therein grounded to stand strong. Despite the perception from news, newspaper and current events, Christianity is of paramount importance. We must be bold, courageous and stand up for the principles set forth by our founding fathers.

Alexis de Tocqueville, a French statesman, visited America from in 1832 to find the secret of her greatness. He wrote in Democracy in America:

“There is not a country in the world where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than in America… I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers—and it was not there—in her fertile fields and boundless forests—and it was not there—in her rich mines and her vast world commerce—and it was not there—in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution—and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

The misconception exists that there is a “separation of church and state”. This phrase is not in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence or early documents of our country. The term originated from a private correspondence of Jefferson with a preacher who was concerned that the government might prevent the church from freely worshipping. Jefferson reassured him with these words that the government would not do such a thing. William Rehnquist stated the “separation of church and state” is a “misleading metaphor and it ought to be abandoned”.

There is endless proof of the foundation of our country in Christianity and I would encourage every American to look at the original historical documents to find this for themselves. From the Declaration of Independence, presidential inaugural speeches and Founding Fathers’ quotations to our coins, national symbols and architecture, our Founding Fathers entrenched this country in Christian principles. As stated by Dr. David Miller in “The Silencing Of God” lectures, most politicians of that day used more scripture and references to God in their documents and speeches than most preachers use today in their sermons. Even our public education system was grounded in Christian principles: the first book in American classroom was the Bible, the first textbook was The New England Primer, which is full of biblical references, and the later McGuffey’s Readers were replete with Biblical references. We are leaving the foundation that our fathers set before us.

In President Washington’s Farewell Address, he stated: “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.” This great country of America was established on Christian principles and I believe we must uphold them to be pleasing to God and to remain a strong, viable people.