Products of the Environment

Megan - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Growing up, everyone has his or her own little ‘quirks’. For some, these ‘quirks’ are personality characteristics that may set them apart from the norm. For others, it could be a hobby or interest. And for others still, it can be the way they learn, solve problems, even think. Every parent notices these differences in their child and prides themselves because of it. But, is it truly their doing that made the child so?

I believe it is. In fact, one of my own ‘quirks’ happens to be, intensely observing, analyzing, and questioning the information I’ve gathered. Why, like many others, did I develop an uncommon interest? I think it is because of the type of environment I grew up in. I believe every person is a product of their own environment.

As a toddler, you develop physically, emotionally, and socially. Unlike teens, the parents are usually the strongest influence in your life. You learn to speak by how they speak. You learn to walk from how they walk. You learn to laugh because of what they laugh about. Every component of you personality is based around what your parents are.

For example, a little boy whose parents encourage him to play with Lego’s and plastic screwdrivers might later develop a interest in engineering, construction, or architecture. On the other hand, a girl who’s mother buys hair ribbons, Barbie dolls, and nail polish by the gallon, might turn out to be the next editor for a fashion magazine.

While there are many flaws and exceptions to this theory, one underlying fact stands true. Not just the eye, hair, and skin color is passed down through generations. Mentalities, idiosyncrasies, and ‘quirks’ are passed down as well.

My habit of questioning was demonstrated by my parents. Whether it was done intentionally, to help me form my own opinions on controversial subjects, or unintentionally, when my parents second guessed and questioned their own decisions, I’ll never know. What I do know is that I had the habit instilled upon me at a young age.

Now, don’t get the impression that learning from parents is bad. It’s usually good. Parents have wise things they teach their children, such as, morals, ethics, values, etc… But, because children learn so much from their parents, parents must be careful about other things they teach. If a child has observed something negative in the home, it is not unlikely for that child to display what they saw out of the home.

Children are products of their environment. What they observe can potentially affect the rest of their life. The more positive an environment is for a child, the better off their life will be. This I believe.