I believe that everyone should have a true best friend.

Isabelle - plymouth, Minnesota

I am going to tell you about how I believe that everyone should have a true best friend.

I have had a best friend since before I was one year old. Her name is Emma Paulson. We both lived in the same neighborhood growing up and never were without each other for very long. We went to the same Pre-K together at the Wayzata Community Church. We would play all day together but somehow never got sick of each other. We would even go to church together with each other’s family and then out to lunch at Bruegger’s. We have lots of memories…like our yearly tradition of going downtown to the Hollidazzle Parade, spending the night in a hotel, and going to the Santa Breakfast together. I remember when I forgot clothes for my American Girl Doll. Smiling, she would always be happy to help me out! Those are a few times I will never forget.

However, elementary school came fast. Emma and I were in the same 1st grade class. The years went by and she was in my 4th grade class too. Looking back, those were some of the best years of my life and now I know why.

There is a saying that you can have more than one best friend. Yes, I believe this but you can’t have more than one true, always there, best friend forever & beyond.

Two years ago, Emma and I were sooo excited for middle school to start! The first day came and I remember meeting a girl named Morgan. I introduced her to my friends and soon the “Fab 4” was born. It was Emma, Morgan, Kirsten & I.

I still can remember the night of our first choir concert. Waiting patiently, I heard the teachers say to all the parents “to get ready because they will see a huge change in there kids within the next three years”. I never in a million years thought it would be as much as it was. The fights, backstabbing, drama, and boys. Then, losing Morgan as a best friend a year and a half later was more than a tender hearted 12 year girl should go through.

All the time spent on looks and “who you were sitting next to at lunch” was something Emma never worried about. She is so naturally pretty and she knows who she is. I look up to her as a person so much. Sometimes I think she knows me better than I know myself. But the bottom line was-when no one else was there, she would be the one on the phone telling me “it would all be OK!” when I was crying my eyes out.

There are times that I’ve felt “not good enough” but around Emma I am 110 % Isabelle and act myself and am not just “good enough” but feel great because of her amazing spirit and heart. She is the nicest, goofiest, smartest, energetic, hard working positive person that I know.

I have seen people lose their best friends before. Obviously, Emma and I are different. I will never forget being at the Wayzata Country Club in the summer and sitting in the lawn chair in the sun talking to Emma and “pinky promising” each other that we would never stop being BFFAB (best friends forever and beyond). And so far our it hasn’t happened. The reason why it hasn’t is because nothing in the world can break apart everything we have gone through together. She is like a sister to me. Friends can come and go but the ones you truly LOVE will never do the things to make you sad or make you feel not good enough and will always be there…just like Emma has done for me my whole life. She has made me a better person. That’s why I believe everyone should have a true best friend. #1: two introductory