Equality

Elizabeth - Charlotte, North Carolina

“We hold these truths to be self evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable right; that among these are life liberty, and the pursuit of happiness…”

This I believe. This I believe with all that I am, with all that I ever will be. I believe that all of humanity is equal. I hold unapologetically that America is basely a woven tapestry, and the strands that weave her tapestry are equally magnificent.

Every day I tread down the halls of my school, the same pathway every day, drudging from class to class. I see many different likes of people: piercings in the “wrong” places, awkward multi-colored hair, ranging darkness of skin tones, heads covered with scarves. All of these teenagers in this one place to consume knowledge in the hope for a diploma and a walk across a stage at the end of their thirteen-year scholastic effort. It astounds me every moment that I live, eat, and breathe at East Mecklenburg High School that fifty years ago this diversified conglomerate of young adults would have been segregated. I sit in awe at my desk in U.S. History pondering how far this democracy has come since its birth by the Declaration of Independence, and how far it still has to go.

I believe in life as a symphony. The years of it flowing in and out as in the melody and harmony of a waltz. My grandmother has seen many waltzes. She tells me of the ebb and flow of her days on planet Earth and though she probably doesn’t believe it, I am fascinated. To be able to recount the times that the world has changed, how it has undergone a certain metamorphosis since she has been in high school. Her recounts offer wisdom and these tidbits aid me in recognizing what is real, and what is not. “You don’t need persuasion from anybody else but yourself to do something”, she told me once, “If you do, then you must not want to do it at all”.

I, admittedly, do not know a great deal about life and its mysteries. My short span on Earth does not allow me to. I, however, believe that words will forever retain their power. As long as there is an audience to write and speak to, I believe people will continue to write and speak to express opinion or philosophy. The philosophy of my church is written as: In essentials, Unity. In nonessentials, Liberty. In all things, Love. This, truly, I believe.