Look Past Your Disagreements

Jasmine - Idaho Falls, Idaho

Look Past Your Disagreements…

When people have different beliefs, thoughts, or ideas they may often disagree. I believe that even if you do disagree on something that you shouldn’t let it stand in the way of your relationship. In some cases people may fight or not even talk to one another over a certain period of time. In other cases people will not let their differences get in the way of their relationship. That is what I believe people should do, look past their differences and keep moving forward. This may happen in politics, religion, ect. The one my family may disagree about is religion and church.

My uncle and my dad have had disagreements before but the recent one hasn’t gone away yet. A couple of years ago my family, my dad, brother, and step mom, and I left the church that my uncle pastors. When we did he told us that we were never welcome back there again. About a week from them my dad e-mailed him and explained why we lift his church and thanked him for being our pastor. He even gave him a new computer for his church but we never got a reply or even a thank you. So in this case I believe that my uncle shouldn’t have reacted as strongly as he did. He still is mad at us for leaving but I believe that he should realize that what we did was for us to grow as a family and in our belief, not to cause him harm or to hurt him.

My brother and my family have a disagreement about religion. My brother always went to church with us up until he was 16, but he didn’t always want to. When he turned 16 he and my parents agreed that he didn’t have to go if he didn’t want to. Now he is an agnostic which is someone who doesn’t believe in a god but doesn’t doubt that there could be one out there. Even though he doesn’t believe in god my parents and I still love him. This I believe is the right thing to do. Even when you and another who love or know don’t agree with what you believe you should still care for them and stick with them. That is what my family and I are doing with my brother.

So as you can see I have two different but similar situations. In one the disagreement is still there waiting to be solved and in the other there is nothing to solve. The similarity that they have is that they both are about someone I care about and even though one of them is still angry with my dad and family I still love him and I love my brother even though he doesn’t believe what I do. So what I believe is that through thick and thin you should always stick with the one you love or care for no matter what.