Believeing In What You Can Do

Taitam - Idaho Falls, Idaho

“Do not let what you CANNOT do interfere with what you CAN do.”

– John Wooden

We hear these words over and over and over again. But do any of us really truly think about what it all means? I used to just hear it and be like yeah, yeah I know or we know. But just recently I read this quote and finally understood it. I really thought about it and realized how much it fit into or how much my life fit into it.

I dance…a lot. Almost everyday I’m at the dance studio practicing with my team. I love it to death. I wouldn’t take anything over it, or so I thought. I’m a freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High School. Can I just tell you that junior high is rough. You’re trying to figure out who you are, what you want to be and who your true friends are. Most of my friends are involved with sports at the school. Basketball, cheerleading, football, volleyball, soccer, the usual. I’m the only one out of my whole grade who dances on my dance team. It can be really hard sometimes because nobody really understands what I do since nobody else dances.

Sometimes I wonder if choosing dance over sports was the right choice. I used to play basketball when I was younger but it interfered with dance a lot and I hardly ever made it to my basketball games. So I had to make a choice, basketball or dance? Obviously I chose dance but I wish that maybe I wouldn’t have. That sounds awful but I do. I wish I could play basketball or volleyball and be the school’s all star athlete or something like that.

When I read this quote and understood it I finally realized, why would I not want to dance? I mean the girls on the team are like my sisters and I would be somebody totally different without dance. Just because I can’t play sports or really be involved in school doesn’t mean that should let that affect me with my dancing.