Mary - Encinitas, California

A Few Words Of Wisdom For My Son As He Sets Off On Life’s Journey Without Me

To you my son in your twentieth year, I wish you love, peace, and grace. These words may not mean much to you now, but during your lifetime when obstacles seem insurmountable and life becomes painful, please remember these three important words and know that you are in loving hands from a higher source. Always believe, trust, and maintain hope in life for there is a plan for your life. There will always be problems, some more painful than others, but there are solutions and you will survive and grow for pain causes us to act and move forward through life. It challenges the deep part of us that lies sleeping. And in that challenge we bring forth strength that allows us create and do our work in life. Just listen, be aware of the small things, for there will always be a message coming through when you least expect it to lead you in the right direction.

Always remember to look for good things in other people even though sometimes those things are not obvious. Some people who seem the least loveable are the ones who need it the most. Be thoughtful, for in that effort you make the lives others brighter. In that thoughtful gesture, no matter how small, with a compliment, card or just time to listen, you make others feel that they do have worth.

Love, precious love, there are so many ways to love. It is the most special gift of all to be given away or to be received. But the perfect love that can give you peace and freedom is the kind you give away to others without expecting anything in return. The kind of love that is perfect is the kind you give only to enhance the life of another. It is not a confining love, or a love that seeks to endear or trap another, but a love that feels good to give. In this way love can be true and real. Most of us spend our lives looking for just that right person. We entrap them with a smothering kind o love, the kind that wants to change and conform anther to our way of thinking and doing. This kind of love leaves us unhappy.

You are almost at the point in your life when you will set out in this world to help shape the destiny of your generation by your contributions to life and you have an important role to play. Each of us has a responsibility in this life, not to take a free ride, but to be an active participant. This is the price we pay. We are all part of a whole and when one of us forgets that fact, our world becomes a little less than it could be because of our laziness. Anything you attempt, attempt with enthusiasm because you will only get out of anything what you are willing to put into it.

Son, you have given my heart much joy throughout the years and have made me thankful to be your mother. Many people have praised your character and your accomplishments and those are the highest compliments one can get. A good character is something no one can take away. You have much potential academically, athletically, and socially that you can accomplish anything you do decide. You must have lofty dreams and through those dreams you can become anything you choose.

Remember to keep an enthusiasm for life, maintain faith and hope, and give and receive love with grace. God will guide your foot upon the path if you will ask, listen and believe. I love you. Mom