Gift of Believing

Ken - Reston, Virginia

The greatest gift I have gotten is not an object at all (unlike many kids). This may sound crazy or weird at first, but in the end you will get it. It is believing. You are probably thinking that’s not a gift, but it is and most people do not see that. It is gift that you get when you are born. You can make a choice to keep that gift or tear it down as you get older. You have to believe in yourself or you will not get anywhere in life. You have to believe that people will help you and are not always against you or you will not be able to work with a group of people. Many people tear this gift apart during their teen years, it’s called low self-esteem. They may think they’re too fat, not strong enough, stupid, or bad at sports and that causes them to stop believing, sometimes it gets so bad they never recuperate and just stop believing all together. Horrible, right!

Believing has helped me in so many ways. It has helped me through family problems like the loss of loved ones which is always a sad thing. Believing has helped me become more faithful in God and believe me it helps to know that God is watching over you. It has opened my eyes to many things that I did not see before. It has helped me through tough times at school like a fight with a really good friend or a bad grade. Believing has not only made my self-esteem higher, it has changed the way I look at things. I used to get negative, thinking everything would turn out badly, but I have started believing things will be okay even if they seem really bad. It is better to be positive, trust me.

Believing has done so much for me. It has helped me get good grades at school which please my parents and me. It also made me work harder in sports that I think I am not good at, which makes me improve in that sport and that makes me better at them. Believing has expanded my imagination making me more creative. It has made me wonder about many things, which expands my knowledge and makes me a more intelligent and interesting person. The best thing believing has done for me is it made me more high-spirited, which really makes my life easier and less stressful. Believing has made me believe that I can do things that I thought I could not do. If you start to believe it will help you in so many ways just like it did for me, I just know it will. Give yourself a chance to believe.

[Sara’s reflection appeared in the Reston Connection, Children’s Connection, December 30, 2008-January 6, 2009 edition, page 17. The Reston Connection is a weekly, tabloid newspaper serving Reston, VA. The Children’s Connection is a once-a-year edition that is devoted to the visual arts and writing of Reston students.]