Birdies Lie

Jayme - Berkely, California

Have you ever been wrongly accused of something by a teacher or superior? I still remember that day in kindergarten when my teacher, Diana (known by my friends and me as “Diana the dreadful”), came up to me during lunch. She whispered in my ear: “A little birdie told me that you said you were going to bring a gun to school.” Now, I must tell you that I never said anything of the sort. I still haven’t figured out why anyone would have said that about me, but it sure got me into a load of trouble.

Diana arranged for a meeting with my mom, my dad, my mom’s boyfriend, Mr. R, and me. Mr. R was the eurithmy teacher. Before this incident, I thought he was pretty nice. I changed my mind after the meeting. It seemed like everyone was against me and that they were forcing me to admit that I had said I was going to bring a gun to school. I didn’t give in though. I would not let them have the satisfaction of blaming me for something I didn’t say.

When we got back home, at least how I remember it is, my mom brought me into the bedroom and wouldn’t let me out until I told her the truth. After a couple hours of what my mom thought was lying, I finally got to go downstairs.

Diana said I had to come up with some way to apologize. My mom’s idea was to bake cookies for the person that told on me. I couldn’t believe that I was giving cookies that I baked to the girl that lied about me! This was pretty much was just adding insult to injury.

In the end I guess it worked itself out. I can’t really remember what happened after I gave away the cookies. Who knows? If this didn’t happen I might have a different opinion, but it seems that quite often teachers don’t listen to both sides of the story. I suppose they don’t think they have to, since what can a little kid do? They have total power over you when you are that young. I do admit, the older I get, the more teachers listen to me and trust me. I believe that teachers, especially of young kids, should try to be as fair as possible and not abuse their power.