The Move

Josiah - Altoona, Iowa

The Move

Not everyone gets the chance to leave everything they have known behind. But I was, I was the kid who had to make the hard transition moving. I moved from a school I only attended to a high school I had never even heard of. The move made me reflect on all the small things that were so important to me. It made the small things stand out that I never would have noticed if I did not move away from them. It made me believe in not taking the small things in life for granted because I realized how much they mean to me.

My dad said, “Everyone come to the living room.” I thought I was going to get into trouble but I did not know what for, but this was not the case. “We are moving to Altoona at the end of June,” he said. These words hit me like a tone of bricks. I immediately started to reflect on the good times I had in the town, my friends, and my teachers. Everything that I had experienced in Mediapolis was sprinting through my head. Then I realized that I was going to move away from everything I know of and I began to cry.

That night I had to get away, I had to be with my friends that I love. Looking into their eyes I could tell they knew what I was about to tell them was not going to be good. With my best friends’ eyes staring at me through sixteen years of friendship, I did not know how I was going to say it. So I flat out just said it, I was moving to Des Moines. It was complete silence for a good five minutes as the three of us began to look back on the all the days we had spent together.

In the town of Mediapolis everyone knows everyone. The town was small enough where if I were to see someone I had to wave because it was either I knew who it was, or it was just the thing to do. I was pretty well known in Mediapolis by my athletic accomplishments. When I would be outside of my old house, I would have people stop and yell good job Friday night, or good luck tonight! It was always a good feeling when people in the town would tell me that I had a great game.

Around a year and a half ago, I moved to the town of Altoona. This was a huge change going from a town of only three gas stations and one restaurant, to a town where Wal-Mart and McDonalds are just around the corner. In Mediapolis I had around 60 students in my whole class, now I have around 400. Going from a school where I knew everyone, to a school where I see a new student everyday was quite a change for me. Walking around Altoona, and seeing house after house and not knowing anyone as they drove by. Just staring and not waving as I try my hardest to figure out who drives by. I would sometimes find myself wanting people to wave because it makes me feel like I am not just a no body.

Moving to a larger town showed me to appreciate all the small things that come out of living in a small town. Never did I think I would miss having people wave at me, or people yelling at me telling me good game. It taught me to not take the small things