Character is often misconstrued

Ashlee - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Character Is Often Misconstrued

I believe in an education that not only allows students to graduate high school but an education at a school which can change their lives forever. Many students have said that the atmospheres as well as the other students around them have no affect on their stay at high school; rather it is only the education that will carry with them through college and the rest of their life. However, no matter what kind of education students seek, human nature takes over and the desire to want more reigns supreme. The desire to better their character while growing relationships with their teachers and peers will teach many lessons.

I have experienced this first hand. I attended a college preparatory school for ten years, and while it well prepared me for the college work ahead of me, I felt as though my teachers cared nothing about my character, and they wanted only to move through the lessons as fast as possible. I thought to myself, how am I supposed to grow as a person, be accountable to myself and have good work ethics if no one around me cares? My moral values decreased as I reached my first year in high school, and I begun to realize there’s nothing better to do in school other than write a few papers.

I moved to a much different school my second year of high school, a school who set their standards high and never compromised. I knew if I was going to become a Godly woman those were the levels I needed to strive for to reach this goal. The main thing this school has taught me is character and a man is nothing without character. Character comes from being pushed in areas that may feel uncomfortable at first but once achieved the person inside has already become bettered through that experience. Character is seen through education. While receiving a great education, this school made me want to be a better person. The character I saw in my teachers–care, love, and commitment to the Lord, kindled that fire inside me to want change in my life. Through this change I’ve become stronger as a person, respectful, and more committed to my work.

I believe there is a benefit from combined education plus character. Education is ready to be learned, while character can only be worked for. A social worker employer wouldn’t higher a student with a degree who doesn’t care anything about showing up to work on time. Character builds accountability. Employers like to know they can count on their employees. Coaches like to know they can count on their players to know every play. No matter the education, character must come first.