Life is a Team Sport

Chelsea - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

I believe in the effectiveness of teamwork in every aspect of life. I believe that success as an individual is almost nonexistent, but success of a team is abundant and apparent every day.

In the world of music, it is rare one person can play guitar, sing, drum, play bass, and mix all of the sounds into the right proportions alone. Yes, there are many instances in which one person has a temporary solo in a song, and yes, one person gets to stand in the front of the stage and be the “leader” of the squad, but the team is what makes the band likeable.

I, myself, am a drummer in the youth praise band at a relatively small church in Oklahoma, and there is nothing like the feeling of looking out into the crowd and seeing young students praising God along with the music that we are producing. I catch myself over and over thinking, “Wow, I can’t believe that because of what my team is doing, these teenagers are growing closer to God”. It is unbelievable.

This growth, though, couldn’t happen without each member of the team being present. Without Nick playing guitar, nobody knows what key to sing in. Without Caitlin behind the microphone, nobody knows what lines to sing, or even what song. Without me in the back on the drums, it’s hard to keep a constant, solid tempo. Without Adam on the bass, the music sounds empty and bland. Every member is crucial to making the team, as one unit, complete.

I’ve learned through the three years that I have been a member of this team, that I am not the star of the band. I am not the single person that the band revolves around, and quite frankly, I love it. When students are in worship, they sing along. I have never seen a student standing in the crowd and drumming along with me. They sing along with the singer. I’m there to be a tempo keeper and sound filler, not the center of attention. I sell out to the concept of a “band”, not a few gifted soloists. And I think because of that mentality, worship at our church progressively improves.

Because each member of our band understands the vitality of the word “team”, we make music, have fun, and lead our fellow youth in worship without even a hint of individuality. We give the glory to God and know that he has blessed us each with our own talents that contribute to the unit. I believe in the teamwork that produces a worship setting for the future of the church. I believe that when worship leaders unite in one mind set, they achieve success in bringing students to God. Without the work of the team, that success is unattainable.