The Pedestal of Serving

Johua - Owassso, Oklahoma

The Pedestal of Serving

In order to rise, I must be willing to fall. I must run away from selfish habits hindering my abilities. I must put others before myself. I believe that by putting others before myself, I will be exalted right along side those I sacrificed for.

There are two instances that come to mind when I think about my belief. The first has occurred every summer over the past four years. I wake up every morning, go to school, workout and run, then return home proud of my accomplishments. This routine would not be bad, except for the fact that it required me to wake up at 4:45 each morning. I hated this part of my day, but it was the first step of my sacrifice. I had fifty other guys doing the exact same thing as me, so there was no reason for me to feel sorry for myself. I needed to get bigger, faster, and stronger for the pursuit of the perfect season. At the time it seemed that this sacrifice was pointless, a never-ending cycle of repetitiveness. But by focusing my mind on the task at hand, I was able to ensure myself and my teammates that I would be there with them through the hard times. I would not leave their side; I would be there until the end.

The second instance I think about comes at a time when all of my past work has gotten me to the place I wanted to be. Unfortunately, we were not in the position I wanted to be in. All could see we were not going to come out victorious. I did not feel like playing anymore. I was tired; my entire body hurting from all the hits exchanged between the other team and myself. These feelings were not unknown to me because for the past four years I had sacrificed to prepare myself for this very moment. I had just run a play requiring me to run a long route, and since we run a no huddle offense, there was no time for me to catch my breath. The play was called, and it was time to go. While the quarterback, who is also my best friend, called the play, I began to feel sorry for myself and dwell on all the pain; however, I quickly remembered that earlier in the game, our quarterback took a very hard hit, temporarily knocking him out. As the play progressed, a player on the other team was about to hit him again. I would not let that happen, so I mustered the last bit of energy I had and took the opposing player out of the play.

These instances are the ones best solidifying my belief in sacrifice because my ability to sacrifice is bringing me great rewards—a college football scholarship.