America Today

Adam - Des Moines, Iowa

Personal Essay

How strong do you think America really is? I think that America is slipping, not just because of our economic crisis, but because of its youth. The youth of America today doesn’t look very promising for the future. No one wants to take responsibility for anything now. People today are always trying to find a way around whatever their doing. They just take the lazy way out. People are dropping out of school, not getting the free education that some people in other countries would do almost anything for. Everybody in this country has so much opportunity that they take for granted. I believe that America needs to change. The people need to look back at how their grand parents acted. I believe that they need to be more like them.

Have you ever heard one of your grandparents say I can’t believe the youth today? I have heard my grand parents talk about how much things have changed today, and how this country is going down the gutter. I think that they are right. I am not saying that it is only my generation or just the generation before mine, but this laziness and irresponsibility will not stop on its own. It will keep happening for generations unless we do something now.

Just look at the banks today. The CEO’s of the banks should have taken responsibility for their company and just because they weren’t making as much as the year before they should not have started giving out loans that they knew the people could not pay for. I think its just common sense that a family that makes a net income of $35,000 a year can not afford a $300,000 house.

The strongest time in American history was the forties, fifties, and the sixties. Our economy showed the most growth in these years, even when our country was going through one of the hardest times in its history. The citizens did not give up like people are doing today. People realized that they couldn’t turn to the government when things got tough. They knew that nothing comes free and I think that’s why those three decades were the best time in our history. The people in those times realized that if they wanted something done that they had to do it their selves. They knew that the government would not do it on its own and that they had to step in.

I am not saying that our country cannot make itself better, but it will take a lot of change. I know that America can change. It has happened all throughout history. The American people have succeeded through the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the Great Depression. I think that our country can get back on top, but people are going to have to start standing up for them selves and take responsibility. We need to be more self reliant. I believe that America still has a chance.