my life with sports

Jake - Altoona, Iowa

People learn valuable lessons in their lives through many different people, but I believe that sports have taught me some of the most valuable lessons that have helped me in my life.

I have played on many different teams in baseball and basketball. Along with the different teams, I had many different types of coaches. My coaches all had different styles of coaching, and taught me different messages. Some of the messages were hidden and the coaches didn’t know that it would teach me things that I could use later in life, and other coaches connected their lessons on the field/court to how I can use it in life.

In 6th grade I joined an AAU basketball team called the All Iowa Attack. When I joined this team, I didn’t know it at the time, but it was, and still is, one of the greatest experiences in my life. The coaches are very personable, and very faith based. These coaches taught me how to be an above average basketball player, but along with that they taught me how to be an even better person.

Being with this program has taught me many things. It has taught me how to work well with others, deal with failure, persevere through hard times, deal with adversity, and take the high road.

When I am on a basketball team, or any team for that matter, I have to be able to get along with my teammates, and work well with them. If I can’t do these things, then my team won’t be successful. In life, if I can’t work well with others, then it will be more difficult to do something that involves being social, like getting a job, or having a lot of friends.

Another thing that I had to learn from being on a team is how to deal with disappointment. I have never been on, nor never will I ever be on a team that wins every single game, every single season, it just doesn’t happen. So when I am on a team, I have to deal with the failure of losing, but one thing that is a common misconception, is that failing is a bad thing. “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying” (Michael Jordan). Jordan, in my opinion, is the greatest basketball player of all time, and even he has failed at some things in life. Everyone will have to go through failing at something in his or her lives, and playing basketball has taught me how to deal with it.

When my team is down, and things just aren’t going our way, there are many different ways that everyone deals with our hard time. I’m not saying that there is a right way to deal with these things, but being with the Attack program, and playing a ton of basketball has taught me what works for me when I am going through a hard time. I have learned how to take whatever it is going on, and not back down, but keep making progress in my life. Everyone can reach high goals when everything is going their way, but what can I achieve when I am down, and nothing in life is going my way?

These were some of my own personal experiences that go along with my belief. The affect that sports have on me will continue for a long time.