I believe that people have the right to help others overcome situations

Ben - Plymouth, Minnesota

In life there are always disasters, natural or manmade. But it is not what has happened; it is how you get through it. This is why I believe that we have the right to help others overcome the situation, no matter how small or big it is.

In 2005, we saw the cruelty of what Hurricane Katrina did to New Orleans. Many of us saw the entire thing on TV. After the hurricane was over, most of us were too stunned to do anything. Shocked and confused at what happened, we just sat there until the Coast Guard went in and sent in supplies to the survivors of the hurricane, gave them relief and made them happier. Then, after the entire thing ended, we all took part in charities, non-profit organizations, and other forms of helpfulness to help people that we never knew.

In 2008, a few months before the Beijing Olympics, a large earthquake hit Sichuan province in China completely destroying many buildings, including a school that was still in session. In that school there was a nine year old child named Lin Hao. He was the hall monitor at his school during the Sichuan earthquake. After he was rescued by rescue workers; he learned that others were still trapped; Lin Hao went back into the collapsed school and rescued two more children. When asked why, he responded with how he was the hall monitor and it was his duty. At least 50 school children were killed by the wreckage. During that time people from Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Russia came to China to help rescue people, even though they spoke different languages, even though they had never seen each other in their entire lives and might never will, they still helped the people that had been ravaged.

A few months later at the Beijing 2008 Olympics, Lin Hao walked beside Yao Ming, as Yao carried the Chinese flag, to represent China during the opening ceremony. Many watched as this little kid walked among all the athletes that came to the Olympics to represent their countries. A kid that was willing to give his life for others.

Many have given their lives to help others, some that are famous and some that have never been heard of, but we all can help others, because this is what I believe.