The Covers Of Books

Kavya - Acton, Massachusetts

The Covers of Books

Don’t judge a book by its cover. What does it mean, not to judge a book by “it’s cover”? It means that you should not infer anything about a book until you’ve read it, and understood it thoroughly. I believe the same, though about people instead of books. An enemy is not an enemy until you know they’re evil, but a friend is not a friend until you bond with them. I believe that everyone should treat each other equally and not by what they look like.

When I was in elementary school, I was the only Indian student in my grade. In lower grades, like kindergarten, first, and second, it was pretty easy for me to make friends. By the time I got to third grade, many kids didn’t want to be friends with me; they thought that they would be made fun for being friends with an Asian person. They were judging me by “my cover.” I had a group of friends that did accept me, and they were interested about my culture and my life style. They asked me questions, such as “Why is your skin so dark?” or “Don’t you only eat vegetables?” All of these questions were common for me to hear. My usual answers were “My skin is dark because of where my family is from” and “Just because I’m from India, doesn’t mean I have to be vegetarian!”

In sixth grade, my teacher depicted me as “better than most,” though I was the youngest in the class. I soon realized that some of the students in my class would think that this was because of my Asian background. It was true that I was doing better than most of the students, but that wasn’t because I was Asian. It was because I was focused in class and I studied hard. My cover seemed to have become my public identity.

Two people in American history that didn’t judge others by their “covers” were Thomas Jefferson and Martin Luther King Junior. Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence and was part of a group of people who held the same belief. “We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal.”-The Declaration of Independence. Martin Luther King Jr. lived his belief by peacefully representing the African Americans with nonviolence; the way that Mahatma Gandhi did. He was trying to get himself and his believer equal rights which were denied earlier because of their “covers”. Martin was a preacher in a church, and he spread his message of equality through his sublime congregations. Eventually, he succeeded in getting equal rights for the African Americans and is now honored nationally.

Some people don’t realize that what is on the outside of a person doesn’t determine what’s on the inside. Everyone should respect each other for who they are, no matter what they look like or where they’re from. Next time you look at anybody, don’t think about what they are wearing or the color of their skin; see them for who they really are.