Small Things

Rachel - Wilsonville, Oregon

Small Things

I believe in all the small things in life. I believe that those small things make you happy and let you live from day to day, from week to week, from year to year. Sometimes, it’s my favorite song that brightens my day. Other days, it’s my favorite pair of jeans and black and white converse that helps me see through the rain. If I don’t make my own happiness, who will?

I love hot chocolate. When it’s cold and raining and wet outside more than anything on this Earth– I love my hot chocolate. Just being able to sit in Starbucks with my salted caramel hot chocolate is enough to calm my troubled heart. It’s just a small thing, but it makes me happy. I first started noticing some small things a year or two ago when I decided that I really loved paper. I’d walk into an office supply store and be drawn immediately to all the paper, journals, notebooks, and just scratch paper. It didn’t take long for me to notice how excited I really was and then I became even more enthusiastic about it. I enjoy taking the time to notice what I love. It’s the hot chocolate, paper, and books that make me laugh. It’s the lightening storms, pens, and socks that make me smile. Since I’ve noticed all these things, I’ve been so much more enthusiastic and optimistic. Life is bearable with the small and simple joys. Most days, I can look around me and determine at least one thing that I love, even if it’s just the socks I’m wearing.

When you take the time to notice the small things it really makes you grateful for what you have and I believe that it makes you happier. The tough things in life are easier to deal with when you have little things to look forward to and be excited about. Look around and find the small things that make you happy and then take the time to notice them. It’s the small things in life that truly make us happy. This I believe.