Nicolette - Altoona, Iowa

I believe that everyone should go to bed proud of at least one thing they did that day. I think no one should waste a day or one minute doing something they don’t want to do. Wasting time is wasting life, and I believe a lot of people go through life without realizing that.

I ask myself every night what I’m proud of doing that day, and if I can’t come up with one thing, I honestly believe I wasted that day. I think people should be proud of every decision they make and also be proud of the actions that they take.

What made me really feel passionate about this belief was watching my mom be bed ridden for almost two hundred days this past year. She couldn’t live the way she wanted to. She had to follow doctor’s orders and lay in bed every hour of every day for more than thirteen weeks. My mom felt like her rights were taken away from her. She couldn’t live freely. When her head hit her pillow at night, she couldn’t think of one thing that she was proud about. It finally got to the point where she was happy to see a day gone because that meant one more day closer to going home. It broke my heart to see her have to live that way.

Even though my mom didn’t really have a choice on the way she lived last year, a lot of people in this world do get the freedom and still do nothing. They let days pass by just sitting on the couch, and it doesn’t bother them. That kills me inside. Everyone needs to live their life to the fullest. I know that’s cliché but really, if that doesn’t happen, life is just going to zoom right past people and they will find themselves regretting almost every decision they had ever made.

I think too many people take every day for granted. I don’t believe it’s fair. They need to stop and realize that there are people fighting for their lives and they need to start living their life to its fullest potential so that they don’t end up with regrets.