Stephanie - Rexburg, Idaho

A beautiful mind. The consciousness and capacity we all own, we owe to our mind. There have been great and many influential minds humankind has seen; in all areas of science, art, politics, religion, even the people of every day.

Think of all the minds we have to credit for science. Albert Einstein said, “”The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.” Science gives direction to discovery, to ask questions, and gives us answers to how things work. It is human nature, and curiosity in which a beautiful mind must be developed. Because of advances in everyday discoveries, it is that intellect we gain from our surroundings.

Influential artists and poets of our time are to whom we owe the origination of fascination; the beautiful minds that have, in our history, brought forth feeling in our souls and inspiration to our intuitions. My favorite poem is by Walt Whitman titled “Miracles.” A poem I think grasps every detail in life and releases it in your way of thinking, to truly convince the world all around us is amazing. “As to me, I know of nothing else but miracles…the wonderfulness of the sun-down—or of stars shining so quiet and bright, Or the exquisite, delicate, thin curve of the new moon in spring; … Or the admirable sight of the perfect old man, or the perfect old woman, Or the sick in hospitals, or the dead carried to burial, Or my own eyes and figure in the glass; These, with the rest, one and all, are to me miracles, The whole referring—yet each distinct, and in its place…” The talent required to capture life, to capture emotion, to bring humility to a stubborn heart is one who posses a beautiful mind.

Think of our development as a country, and the phenomenal leaders that have put their ideas into action to shape it. They who brought us out of the pitfalls and devastations it has seen; and they who have pride to celebrate the moments of achievement. One who comes to mind is Franklin D. Roosevelt, who assumed the Presidency at the depth of the Great Depression. He helped the American people regain faith in themselves; brought hope, gave prompt, vigorous action, and asserted in his Inaugural Address, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Our nation has seen many changes, but in our leader’s footsteps we have followed those changes, and therefore have experienced the actions of beautiful minds. “For time and the world do not stand still. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or the present are certain to miss the future. A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.” (John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States of America.)

On a spiritual note, the many “great awakenings” that have occurred come to mind; for example, the first one, in the time of the Renaissance. The spiritual renewal was a reaction where Christians would actually believe from the depths of their hearts during worship, rather than just go through the motions during services. The beautiful minds that brought about wellness in spirituality were many, but how many times of “slumber” have there been? The First Great Awakening as a precursor to the War of Independence. Think of the minds that brought us out of the abolition movement, and again, as earlier mentioned the great depression. In times of darkness is when we turn to light.

I am completely convinced that life is interconnected. Whereas, I’d like to argue that the people of everyday life are the reason of pure existence. Yes, there have been many noted in history to lead, and inspire; but it is the beautiful minds that surround us everywhere that makeup life. Time is immeasurable- a newborn in the arms of a mother, that time that infant has, to live everyday and make an identity of his or her own mind. And the same goes with the old man you find in a park feeding pigeons. What story does he have to tell? His experiences, many, have the definitions of desire, existence, observation, and maturity. The words “I love you” said for the very first time. That in itself is a beautiful realization in one’s mind; when a person starts to live when he can live outside himself. Perhaps ordinary people are their own poets, their own scientists. I believe in human kind, and the beautiful minds possessed by every individual and their potential.