A Big Piece of Machinery

Britney - Rexburg, Idaho

A Big Piece of Machinery

When I see a person I haven’t seen for awhile, the conversation always starts with, “Wow! What a coincidence that we are both here at the same time!” In fact, this isn’t true at all. It isn’t just incidental. There is a reason for everything. This I believe; there is no such thing as coincidence. There is purpose to every person I meet, every experience I go through, and everything I do.

Some friends and I were on a road trip when we had stopped at a Wendy’s to eat lunch. All six of us fit into one booth. It was quite the scene! As we ate, we discussed what we were most looking forward to in the future. This discussion lasted about a half hour. As I got up to throw my trash away, an older gentleman came up to me and asked where I was from. I replied, “Grace”. He told my friends and me that we were the type of young people that made his generation proud. A friend, Makala, promptly asked why. As a tear came to his eye, he said, “I didn’t hear one swear word in your conversation, nor one vulgar comment. I didn’t hear any of you degrade someone or something. The young generation of today has to swear every other word out of their mouth and degrade what is whole and pure. You are different, and I thank you for that.” He left before any of us knew what to say. To this day, I still recall the words of that kind old man. When I think about saying something mean or vulgar, his voice is in my head. His purpose in my life: a constant reminder to be a better person.

One of the friends that happened to be on the trip with me was a girl named Alicia. She was smart and beautiful, sassy and sweet. She was the senior class president. She and I had several classes together. She was also my secretary for the Laurel class. It was our senior year of high school. The one year I, as well as all the others, had been looking forward to. I understood what this meant; at the end of the year, I would have to say goodbye to everyone I had grown up with and go on a path all my own. The year went by faster than I had anticipated. April came in a flash. I had just returned from a Youth Legislature conference when I received a phone call. It wasn’t a happy message. This beautiful, sassy girl had passed away due to Bacterial Meningococcal Meningitis. This was a hard thing to deal with less than a month before graduation. The purpose of Alicia’s death in my life: live life to the fullest because you never know when it will end.

I was recently involved in a production of “A Christmas Carol”. I was in the choir as well as the money beggar. It was enjoyable. I loved being someone else for two hours, but then again, it was nice getting back to being me. I couldn’t understand how people did this for a living. The purpose of “A Christmas Carol” in my life: acting isn’t meant for me.

The world can call these small acts “coincidences”, or whatever they want to. I know that life is a big piece of machinery levers, switches, and buttons that get pushed so that what is supposed to happen does happen. There is a purpose to everything. I believe there is no such thing as coincidence.