Why I Want to Teach Future Nurses

Kay - Plano, Texas

Why I Want to Teach Future Nurses

I believe that learning should be fun, as should be teaching! After teaching Medical Science at the high school level, I was able to find my purpose: teaching and nursing. There has been a continuing shortage “with a hiatus only in the early 1990s”. (Keating, 2006, p. 14) Here is where I belonged, performing two of the things that I loved most, teaching and nursing.

There are many different philosophies in nursing, but I personally believe that teaching these skills and knowledge base of nursing is a nursing science, “the substantive, discipline-specific knowledge that focuses on the human-universe-health process”. (McEwen, 2007, p.12) Where the basic knowledge is the same, everyone brings about different life experiences and skills to the classroom.

I had a very unusual way of teaching. Where I was told “not to be their friend”, I wanted the students to trust me and have fun. I didn’t expect the students to do anything that I wasn’t will to do myself. An example of this is when I began teaching Medical Math. I became the class novice!

As I stood at the overhead projector ready to let my brilliance dazzle, the kids began starring at me like I had three heads, hands began popping up and the questions were flowing. Wait! What had just happened here? I had never encountered this before, my WHOLE class was lost! My brillance had turned to rust!

Time to put my belief to the test: not expecting them to do anything that I wasn’t willing to do myself. In this instance, it was time for me to learn. Why, I knew how to do Medical Math! However, my students, who were young enough to be my own kids, had been taught math in a totally different way than me. Did feel old, yes! Did I go onto the internet and teach myself “new” math, yes. Thankfully, this wasn’t an observation day!

My intuitiveness had kicked in, that is, I just had a “way of knowing (my) feelings and hunches” (McEwen, 2007, p. 13) were right, I was “old school”. After re-teaching myself Medical Math, I was able to come back the next day and teach my students at a level that they knew and understood.

The kids had a great time making fun at their teacher, they knew that they could trust me to find a way to teach them the material and they were able to watch another episode of “House”. You gotta learn those medical terms somewhere, might as well make it fun, right?! This is when I finally realized how much I loved not only nursing, but teaching as well!

Works cited:

Keating, S. B. (2006). Curriculum Development and Evaluation in Nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.

McEwen, M. & Wills, E. M. (2007). Theoretical Basis for Nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.