Depiction

Amie - Slidell, Louisiana

I believe that a book of pictures tells more of a story than a book of words. The way little children love their storybooks, but don’t read them. Instead children look at the unique photos inside and make up their own story. The photos might not be real, maybe drawings or photographs that were manipulated into something else, but these pictures still spark the imagination. Even when people are older they still use their imagination to make a story from an image.

I remember even at an age when I couldn’t read a book, I still loved them. The pictures inside made my mind burst in creativity. I remember looking through pictures in my Dr. Seuss books and coming up with weird stories to go with the weird pictures. Yes, the stories were read to me several times before, but the pictures inside must have caused me to make a story of my own repeatedly. I didn’t always share my stories with Mom and Dad, but every now and then I let them know what I thought when they read to me. Now, I wish I could tell you the stories I thought of, but that was too long ago for me to remember.

I was older and given a book of my godmother’s vacation to Disney World with her husband. Every night my mother and me would lie in her bed and make up different stories while flipping through this album of fun, silly pictures. There was one picture of her on a rope in a jungle themed place. We would say she was going to rescue her husband from the dreaded pirates in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

I expect that even in our wiser, older years, we still make stories from pictures. People look through gossip magazines and believe things inside, because of the pictures. The story published isn’t always followed, instead people make up what they believe. If we all saw the same thing, this world would become quite humdrum.

I spend most of my days at a website (deviantART.com) meant for art. There are some pictures that make an entire story in my head. Then there are some pictures put into a specific order that are meant to be a story. A story without words. I remember the first time I saw something like that on deviantART. It was titled CuppyCake – A Tiny Comic by Oxo.

I should say now that, contrary to my belief of pictures being better than the story itself, I am, indeed, a writer. I’m the writer who gets ideas from pictures I come across. I use my photography to help my writing and my writing to help my photography. I didn’t hate the stories in my storybooks. I loved them. I just feel that pictures really help a story and let the reader develop the story more. It’s not just black & white, words on paper. There’s always a picture to go with a story. Try to find them.