Healing through Service

jennie - rexburg, Idaho

Service Heals

I believe that service is one of the best ways to start your own personal healing; I know this because it has gotten me through my hardest times. There have been days when I couldn’t see tomorrow- but then, I had one of those days that makes all your hard times, and trials worth it.

It was the day I began work at the Homestead, a local nursing home in Rexburg, Idaho. I care for a home of elderly people who have Dementia and Alzheimer’s. The job is a bit overwhelming at times and there is a lot of responsibility on my shoulders, but it is all worth it. As corny as it sounds, I really am filled with love as I am able to serve the residents. My life has been anything but easy for the past year. To be honest- at times it’s been a living hell; full of doctor visits, pain, heartbreak, and legal battles. I am determined to use all I’ve learned and experienced to find ways to help others and heal myself.

As President Hinckley says, “Forget yourself and go to work,” I have found the power in this. At the Homestead I’m able to take a step back and look at where I’m at and really throw myself into my work which allows me to help make the residents days a bit better and brighter. For months I waited for someone to fix me, my life, and get me going again. Now after seeing the difference I can make in others, I really have the hope and the sight- to do what I need to for myself. Working gives me the opportunity to look around and see all that I have accomplished through this rough patch and how much potential I have. I believe that service fuels my personal healing, and that it’s a blessing in my life that I will forever be grateful for. Serving others, could work for you too.