Jake - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

This I Believe Essay

I believe in just taking it easy. Some people call me lazy, and I am, but really I just don’t like to waste my energy on stuff that does not make a big difference on my life. After school when I get home, I go to my room. While in my room I sit on my couch, then I watch television, sometimes I play video games, and occasionally I do homework. I do this for about two to three hours straight. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love to play sports with my friends, but afterwards, I like to just sit back and relax.

During the summer, I sleep a lot. That is one of my main hobbies. Most days I do the same things that I did the day before. I love to stay up until three or four in the morning I play video games, talk to my friends, and hang out with them.

Taking it easy is an important value to have in one’s life. Some people are always stressed and always working. These kinds of people are the people that don’t know how to take it easy. Some people say that if you take it easy, you won’t ever get anything done, but I can get all my homework done while I relax. People that get overstressed usually have a meltdown, and then they don’t get anything done. I am not here to say that people need to sit down and chill 24 hours a day, but one or two hours a day would help their stress level.

There are many benefits of taking a break every once and a while. It is easy to relieve stress while I relax. I can get a lot of rest if I am tired. When I finish relaxing, and I am ready to get back up and get going again, I am at the top of my game because I am rested, but the people I compete against are not. I am not using very much energy, so I feel good and relaxed. Like science fiction writer, Robert A. Heinlein said, I also believe that, “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.”