Dealing With Grief

Ashley - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: setbacks

Dealing With Grief

Whether it is the loss of a friend, a loved one, or the divorce of your parents, I believe people can push through these hard times and emerge stronger and more understanding. I believe that grieving is a healthy way to handle life’s most challenging situations.

Over the last year and a half, I feel like I have suffered through each and every one of these tough times. In October of last year, I lost my great-uncle Dale to colon cancer. He was not married and lived alone, so Dale was always over at my grandparent’s house for family events and holidays. He had a great sense of humor and played practical jokes on us all the time. We still talk about Dale a lot and miss his presence at all of our family gatherings.

Then, in April, I lost a close friend. During this hard time, not only did I have to care for myself and my own feelings, but I had the weight of my best friend’s grief on my shoulders as well. I had to be there with her twenty-four hours a day for a straight week. We became very close in this week and spent three whole days just talking, crying, hugging, and doing it all over again. I am still a continuing support to my friend, and I am very glad at how this tragic event has made us even closer friends.

Although my parents are not divorced, because they were never married, I still think a lot about how my life would be different and maybe better if my parents were still together. I have to put forth a lot of effort to please both of my parents in all the ways that they want. My dad lives in Omaha and nags me a lot about my grades, my college of choice, and what I plan to do after I am done with school. While all these things are important to my mom too, she is also very concerned about my life outside of school, whether it is my choice of weekend activities or the group of friends I am hang out with. I have seen a lot of my friends take their parents’ divorce very hard; but because of this they have become stronger than the average teenager.

Because of the unfortunate events that I have been through in the last few years of my life, I am a better friend, daughter, and student. I take time out of my life to do the little things that can make someone’s day a little bit better. I wish that no one ever had to go through what I had to go through, but as I once read, “eventually, the grief will ground you and give you stability in troubled times.”