Hot Tub Olympics

Tanner - Altoona, Iowa

When I moved, we came to a smaller house that didn’t have room for our pool. With the only room we had, we put in a hot tub. I was slightly disappointed because as great as hot tubs are, I missed my pool. I couldn’t think of a way my friends and I could have fun with a hot tub. But one cold winter night in central Iowa, a few of my friends and I decided to see who was the toughest of all of us. So, we jumped out of the hot tub and ran out in the snow. Now, I’m sure many people have done that, but we decided there is only one name for an event like that. My friends and I dubbed our competition the Hot Tub Olympics. The Hot Tub Olympics is a way to make a bad situation good. I believe in making the best of any situation, no matter if it is work, school, or just being bored at home with nothing to do. I was disappointed with not having a pool, but having a hot tub eased the dissatisfaction.

The Hot Tub Olympics consist of a few different events. I have a neighbor in my back yard, and one of the events is to run as many laps around his house as possible around in the snow before running back to the hot tub. We call this our Stamina category. The record is ten, and by the time the winner got back to the hot tub, his feet were blistered and very red. He was done for the night after that event.

Another event is simply just lying down in the snow as long as possible. This is our Endurance category. The first minute is just brutal, but once you get past that, it isn’t too much trouble. Only one of my friends and I have made it past the one minute mark. We both were around ten minutes, and we decided we were probably getting pneumonia and quit.

We call one category Freestyle. This is when we can do whatever we want that no one else is dumb enough to do in the snow, like rolling around in the snow and things like that. That is the most fun one to do. We just make up other events as we go along, but those are the big three events.

The Hot Tub Olympics wouldn’t have been born if we hadn’t decided to make hot tubbing a little more fun. Any situation can be improved if you make it fun and make it worth being a part of it. This theory works for anything, like having grumpy customers at work, having a bundle of homework from school, or even just being bored at home with nothing to do. For three years now we have participated in the Hot Tub Olympics. I hope that we continue to do this for as many years as we can.