Alyssa - Altoona, Iowa

I believe in Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (if you say it fast enough you will sound atrocious). I mean to say, I believe in words. They hold amazing power, and yet most people never stop to think about them.

We communicate our thoughts through words. What if there were not words? How would people express their ideas to one another? Phrases like, “I love you,” and “You’re beautiful,” feelings.” I’m angry,” says to someone, “You have hurt me,” and “I’m upset.” If we didn’t have these words, it would be frustrating to communicate.

Have you ever wondered where words come from? They start between two people trying to convey a point and they catch on until they have penetrated the whole language. I once created a word: Bohonkis. My friend and I invented it because adults didn’t like the word “butt,” and we were too old to use the childish word “bottom.” Though it has not yet caught on with the rest of the world, we will always be connected by it.

Words are power. This power is communicated in a minute. Words like peace, surrender, compromise, and understand. These words have stopped wars, ended fighting, and saved lives. Other words have started a movement, a movement for change, words like, “I have a dream,” “If slavery is not wrong then nothing is wrong,” and “America needs change.”

Words can also be negative. They can break relationships and cause wounds that will never heal. These words are normally said in anger. Words like, “I hate you” and It’s over,” and “It is a war against all nations,” cause reactions that lead to violence. Words can also be mistaken, causing confusion and misunderstanding.

Words come in many shapes and sizes. There are short and simple or big and complex words. Everyday between twenty two and fifty new words added to the English language. There are words like phantasmagorical, (which means a changing scene made up of many elements) and gossipmonger (a person addicted to gossip). There are small words like ape and ask, words with two meanings like too and saw. There are words that a fun to say like, tattletale and hippopotamus and my personal favorite bohonkis.

How much we take words for granted! I often remember, words have power and I am constantly reminded to be careful with them. They can define and shape who you are.