Happiness = Success

Jacob - Des Moines, Iowa

Success isn’t always measured by how much money people have, how many things they own, or how big their houses are. This is what comes to mind for most people when success is brought up today. Songwriter and singer Bob Dylan once said,“What’s money? A man is a success when he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” I believe that the key to true success is how Bob Dylan puts it, you should do what makes you happy.

When people see someone dressed up in expensive clothes driving an expensive car, I know most people would jump to the conclusion that that person must be successful. He must have a lot of money and be successful right? I don’t believe that this has to be true of that person. What if he is working in a job that doesn’t really make him happy, but he stays there because it has a higher salary than what he would actually like doing with his life? What if he puts all his time into his job and doesn’t have hardly any social life and doesn’t get to go out with friends much at all? To me that is not success. That’s unhappiness.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad for people to work hard to get to where they want and to make as much money as they can. I just feel that people shouldn’t sacrifice their happiness for a big house, expensive clothes, or that sports car everyone wants. I think that people should find something that they like to do and can do every day until they retire, something that doesn’t get in the way of their social or family life.

I believe my cousin is a very good example of this type of thinking. She was working at a job for years that she didn’t really like, but she felt she couldn’t leave it because she never went to college. She finally started to get fed up with it and decided she was going to go to college in her late twenties. She attended Drake and graduated in four years in the top twenty-five percent of her class. She is now working with Iowa legislature to help pass proposals to begin cleaning up Iowa’s rivers. She loves her job now, and she is a lot happier than she ever was before and is making a great salary doing what she likes. She also is out with friends almost every weekend and comes to every family get-together we have now.

My cousin shows that the best way to be successful is to do what makes you happy in life. I believe that happiness is the key to success and I try to do what makes me happy everyday. I plan on doing what makes me happy for the rest of my life, and if I can achieve that then I will feel that I am a success. Family and friends are the two things that make me happiest. If I can make sure to never lose touch with my family or friends and be able to have a healthy social life for the rest of my life, I will be happy and successful. I believe that happiness equals success.