Dance Like No One is Watching

Kaylee - Altoona, Iowa

“Dance like no one is watching, love like you’ve never been hurt, sing like no one is listening, and live like it’s heaven on earth,” educator William Purkey once said. I see this same quote every single day at my dance studio, yet every time I look at it, I find myself just standing there being motivated by it. I believe in living my life by this quote.

“Dance like no one is watching,” is such a meaningless and simple phrase to most people, but to me it’s much more. Surrounded by so many other girls who just sit there, watch me perform, and critique my every move, often makes me really nervous and self-conscious. But, that is what it is like to be a dancer. I’m constantly being watched and expected to be great. It can get difficult, but whenever I dance, I think, “Dance like no one is watching.” Once I forget about all the other people in the room, my body just lets loose, and I can actually put my heart and soul into my performance. It makes such a difference watching a dance when a dancer puts his or her all into a dance and shows emotion through dance moves, rather than a dancer that is nervous and just trying not to mess up. I achieve this by pretending that no one is watching.

Even when I’m not dancing, this quote can still relate to so many things. It helps me every day, sometimes in class and sometimes out of school. In school this quote helps me to try not to be nervous talking in front of people. Even though there could be a roomful of people, I try to pretend no one is watching, and it suddenly makes it easier. Out of school, this quote has meaning to me also. Some people are constantly worrying about what they look like, what people think about them, and if people are judging them or not. This quote gives me a sense of confidence. I try not to think about what other people think about me or how I look, but just live my life for me, not thinking about the people who are watching me.