Dream Big

Nick - Altoona, Iowa

Dream Big

Have you ever had a dream to do something or go somewhere? Well, my advice would be to pursue that dream and never give up on it. I believe that if I have a goal, don’t give up on it. I try not to let other people bring me down in the process of doing it. If I can do that, then I’ll be sure to reach my goal.

Bob Dylan once said, “When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it-don’t back down and don’t give up-then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks.” This quote really meant a lot to me. It’s what helped me believe in not giving up on my goals. There are many stories that are about people going from rags to riches or how hard the journey was to get where they are. One example that really sticks out to me is Michael Jordan. His story is very inspirational to many young athletes all over the world. Jordan was cut from his freshman basketball team because the coach said he just wasn’t good enough. Later down the road though, Jordan went on to be inducted into the North Carolina and NBA Hall of Fame and is said to be the greatest basketball player ever.

Another good example would be Bob Dylan. Dylan was in a severe motorcycle accident in July of 66’. Many people said that there was no way Dylan was going to be able to come back from a crash like that and that his career was over. While Dylan was in his basement injured, he continued to write music. To prove people wrong, he recorded more songs, sold more albums, and became one of the best singer/songwriters ever.

My belief also came from a personal experience. When my uncle was younger, he wasn’t always doing the best in school. His goal for when he got older was to run his own business doing something that he loved. Many people thought that he wouldn’t really go anywhere in his future, and that there was no way that he would be able to run his own business. After high school, he went on to do an apprenticeship to become an electrician. Although he did something after high school, people still said that he still wouldn’t go anywhere. He started to get frustrated with people telling him that, so when his apprenticeship was done, he joined the air force. Again, nobody gave him credit. When he got done with his time in the air force this past year, he finally got the time and money to start up his own business. When I went to his congratulations party, I could tell that he was pretty happy with his accomplishment.

I have many goals that I want to accomplish in my life. One of those goals is to graduate from high school and go on to college. One thing I need to do that is really important for this goal is to get all my homework done for all my classes. If I do that, I should be fine on completing my goal. All I have to do is complete the task on my way to competing my goal, and then I will reach it and achieve it.