The Dance Lesson

Sydney - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem

The Dance Lesson

“At the end of the day, whether or not those people are comfortable with how you’re living your life doesn’t matter. What matters is whether you’re comfortable with it.” Said Phillip C. McGraw, also known as Dr. Phill. Every time I read this quote I think about all the experiences in my own and others’ lives. Some experiences are good and some not so good, and some people may have far worse experiences than others, but the point is to learn from them.

The audience claps as we are walking off stage. We have a rush of accomplishment and excitement. I am ten years old and it is our first time performing a dance without a teacher onstage helping us. We walk backstage into the dressing room and we wait for our moms. The girls in my class and I talk about our dance and how good it felt, we thought we did great.

We are all so happy until some girl in my class says, “The dance would have been great if it weren’t for Sydney, she ruined the whole thing,” then she looks at me and said, “You should just quit dance.”

I start to cry. My best friend stands up for me and the other girls on the team follow her. I wasn’t really listening to what was being said. I try to hold back my tears so I wouldn’t draw attention to me from the older girls.

I didn’t go out that following year. The whole time I missed dance, and I missed out on a whole year of learning and it made me a little behind everyone else. The next year when I went out, I had to work even harder. I’d like to say I forgave and forgot, but I didn’t. Although I accepted her apology, I will never forget.

I believe that it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of me, as long as I am happy. I should live my life to the fullest and do what I love to do, and don’t let anyone change me.